Friday, February 23, 2007

Convicted

So, Megan was putting some songs on her Ipod and noticed a song from Pantera that I had on Itunes. The title was pretty profane and the lyrical content wasn't that of a Christian nature. Initially, I had a problem with her wanting me to take it off of Itunes because it was a style of music that I like and learned how to play guitar on, and it's a style that she can't stand. After thinking about it, I feel very convicted to delete it and others. My only problem is, where do I stop. Obviously, that song, with a title like "F'ing Hostile" and a few others that talk about getting stoned are clear choices to delete. But what about songs that talk about seduction (Britney Spears, Megan) and broken marriages (all country songs).

Funny thing is, I was going through my songs and saw a song called "I'm So Stoned." I know, instant trash, right? Well, I started listening to it and I remembered it had a great groove. Needless to say, it made me think about how I listen to music. I've had these discussions with Megan quite a few times about lyrical content versus musical arrangement and I've come up with this...I rarely listen to the lyrics on songs. The majority of the time, I'm listening to the musical arrangement, the guitar, the drums, and the melody. The lyrics seem to be secondary. When I'm listening to worship music, it's a little different. Depending on what song it is, I will either listen to the music or I will worship with the song. So essentially, I don't listen to the lyrics of any song.

But with that said, there are still some songs that must go and I'm all right with that...now.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim, the blogster! Welcome to the blogosphere.