Saturday, June 14, 2008

Great Weekend!!!!

This past weekend (at least up to this point) has been great. On Friday, I went to the Brad Paisley concert. The show was great and I think he has convinced me he is one of the most entertaining musicians out there. Jewel was also playing and she sounded great, just not my style, but she ended her set with a yodeling session. Yes, yodeling!!! Quite a weird end.

On Saturday, we went to the 3rd round of the US Open. What an amazing day. We set up on holes 1, 4, and 14. We saw many more bogeys than birdies...tough course. As we were walking over to the practice range, we were walking behind Barry Bonds. It was quite amusing that only about 3 people recognized him. I noticed that he was wearing a white MLB hat, so I had to follow him until he turned around. It was a San Francisco hat and it looked like he used a Bedazzler to put on some diamonds along the SF of the hat. We only saw Tiger play two holes, and he bogeyed both of the holes. We didn't get to see his birdie chip-in on 17, or his eagle on 18 but we got to see him nonetheless. As we were sitting in the bleachers on hole 14, some drunk 19-year olds were keeping us entertained. They were a bunch of spoiled white kids that go to USC but pretty hilarious. I also met a golf pro from North Carolina who said he'd "take care of my if I came to his course." He was talking about how he is friends with pros Oliver Wilson and Stuart Appleby. I thought he was probably full of crap but he knew quite a bit about both of them, including pointing out Oliver Wilson's girlfriend and talking about where they lived in North Carolina. After I went home on Saturday, I looked up "his" course in North Carolina and sure enough, he is who he says he is. I saw him on Sunday, too and made sure to say hi (got to keep that connection). I told Travis that one of my goals in life is to get free golf across the US.

On Sunday, I was a heathen and missed church to go watch the Open again. Since we were a little sore and a little done with trying to fight through crowds to get a good position along the ropes, we decided to go straight to hole 14 and sit in the bleachers to watch the players "go for it" on the short par 4. There were a lot of birdies and pars, but there were some BAD shots. We saw someone hit his ball into the bunker off the tee, then the next shot went in the canyon. A couple of people hit the bleachers off the tee. Only a few players hit the green off the tee (Jesper Parnevik was the only one we saw score an eagle). We waited until Phil Mickelson came through. He shot a birdie on 14, then we watched him tee of on 15 (where he birdied). We then went to watch Tiger. We went down to hole 5 and set up on a hill above the fairway to get a decent view and to rest a bit. We were about an hour ahead of Tiger so it was still easy to get a good front rope view. We saw some great players come through. As Tiger was approaching, the crowds got so ridiculous that you couldn't see any grass all the way up the hill. After Tiger came through, we went over to the merchandise tent so John could get some stuff for all his family. Then we went back to 14 to try to get a bleacher seat...no such luck. We found a little hill right behind the tee box for hole 15 where we could also see players hit their tee shot on hole 14. We waited for the masses to arrive and knew Tiger was coming through. By this time, Tiger was tied for the lead. He made a par on hole 14 when all the others made birdie. The last shot we saw was Tiger hit his drive on hole 15 more right than I'd ever hit. We thought the tournament was over. After we got back to the car, we turned on the radio and heard he was putting for a tie on hole 18. Of course, he made it.

On Monday, I watched most of the playoff round before going to lunch with my sister-in-law and grandma, along with Megan and the kids. Then I had to leave to go pick up John and head off to Sycuan to go play some free golf. I didn't play great, but the price was just right.

Today (Tuesday), we were supposed to go to the fair but I didn't get back from work until a little after 12 noon. We decided I'd take another day off from work and we'd go to the fair tomorrow.

So that's pretty much it until now. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. Shoot, maybe I'll even throw another post up about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and include some pics of the boys?

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to see what you would write about the tournament. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I watched a good majority of it, which is surprising because normally I don't like watching golf. I thought it was exciting...every round. I will be honest though, I was pulling for Rocco, since it would have been awesome to see him pull of the amazing upset. But, of course, it's Tiger..he doesn't lose at Torrey. Oh well, I'm glad you had a great time.

Rachel said...

oh - and you forgot to mention that the best part about Friday was seeing your nephew and sister-in-law (if that's what you call me) before you went to the concert. I know it was an essential part of your great weekend and it must have just slipped your mind, it was so amazing. Just kidding. It was great to hear about your view of the open. As I was watching I kept wondering what you guys got to see!

Linda said...

Welcome back to your blog! Please tell Megan thanks for sharing you with John, we appreciate it!!!

Don't worry Rachel, I'm sure your visit just slipped Tim's mind.....hmmmm, I didn't see my name either!!!