Monday, April 6, 2009

Tax increase: to vote, or not to vote

Being a government employee in my own city, I often feel torn on voting to increase taxes. This time it's a 1% sales tax increase. If it goes through, I'll be looking at 9.75% sales tax everytime I buy something in Chula Vista! That's ridiculous.

If it doesn't pass, our director's been keeping quiet so I have no idea the impact it will have on our department. I've been told my job's secure but you never really know. I'm fairly certain a few of my co-workers will be laid off. Plus just about all city services will be scaled back tremendously.

On the other hand, is this just a bailout for years of politician's and incompetent city official's mismanagement of funds? I believe the short answer is yes but most if those people are gone. My old neighbor used to be Asst. City Manager and on his way out, he told my boss to prepare for financial collapse in this city. That was over 5 years ago. Apparently this isn't really a new issue but now it's more relevant.

What would you do if you were me?

For you CV residents, how will you vote?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I don't really know how I feel about it. I guess you could say I'm conflicted. I think that paying that high of sales tax is ridiculous, but at the same time, I know how many jobs and programs it will save within in the City. I guess I'm a hopeless optimist thinking that maybe some day when everything is back to okay, they will lower it again...hahaha yeah right!

All in all, I think I will vote to approve it. I think saving people's jobs and City run facilities and programs is what makes me feel that way. But that's just one vote...who knows how other people feel.

Linda said...

That's way too high! Plus, it won't change a thing. Believe me, we are all in the same boat. It is all about management of funds. We were told we will be ok because our money has been managed competently, while some of the cities are actually taking pay cuts. Of course, they got a 8% raise last year, when we only got 2.5%. I have seen both sides, and it really is about management of the money. Our former group of Supervisors spent money they counted on coming in from property tax, etc. The Board and Co. Man. we have had for the last 8 years believe in getting the money before spending it and it has made a huge difference. All in all, it is a trickle down from federal and state funds, with them passing down the burden to counties and cities. My opinion that tax rate is way to high for sales tax, people will only end up taking their business elsewhere if they have a choice.!!! Believe me, it won't save any non-mandated programs....there are too many mandated programs that need the money!

Unknown said...

I'm absolutely voting against it. The city needs to learn to live on a budget just like the rest of us. How about decreasing the pay of the council and the mayor? Have any of them reduced their staff? I think there are many places to cut before increasing the sales tax. In addition, they use scare tactics to try to get support by threatening to cut essential services. We should also be demanding more from our elected officials and holding them responsible for how they spend our tax dollars. Unfortunately all too often once in office they promote their pet projects even though they're not in the best interest of the majority nor even wanted by the majority. Hello Chula Vista, people are struggling to just keep their heads above water now is not the time to raise the sales tax but if you do I'll do exactly what I did when National City raised theirs I won't spend my hard earned dollars in the city anymore. Oh well Otay Ranch mall is doing so well they really don't need anyone else shopping there any way!!!