Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 29th Worship Confessional

I normally don't account for the days I lead worship, but today was too fun to not to.

We actually make it out of the house on time, if not early, for the first time in probably years. I'm feeling pretty confident in the songs I'm doing plus I have a great drummer and a professional sound man this morning so with the combination of those two, I can fudge a few things here and there and it should go unnoticed.

I show up and start setting everything up. Last time I led worship, we didn't have any drum mics or extra mic cables so we weren't able to mic up the drums. Today, everything was where it needed to be. I even had extra cables.

I'm almost done setting up my gear when I realize there is no sound guy. It's getting close to 8am so I start calling to no avail. In the meantime, I also notice our drummer's not there either. Start calling him too but goes straight to voicemail. Our sound guy confirmed with our Pastor earlier in the week and our drummer confirmed online about a month ago so I thought everything would be fine.

Finally, it's around 8:30 and Megan and Janae, who were singing, were back at the soundboard trying to find channels that weren't broken so we can actually get sound coming out of the speakers. We finally got everything set up (minus a drummer and an actual sound guy) by 8:45 so we had time to run through one song.

Here were the songs we did:

Romans 12:1
Majestic
Hosanna
The Power of Your Name
God of This City
How Great Is Our God

The front end of the set would have been real drum heavy so it took some concentration on my part to get through those songs. For the Power of Your Name, I made a midi piano and drum track to accompany it and it did wonders in filling out the song and keeping us on tempo. By the way, Megan did an OUTSTANDING job during the solo on it. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Luckily, Steve Scott was able to sit in on djembe the second service and that helped us out a lot. Also, during the sermon of the second service, I see the sound guy that was supposed to be here all morning standing outside talking to another guy. I give him credit for showing up knowing he probably felt pretty bad bailing out on us this morning.

I feel, under the circumstances, I did a decent job but was pretty disappointed that I let some things affect the way I led this morning. Being that I only get to lead worship about once every six months or so, I put a lot of stock in my days on the mic so I add more pressure to myself than is already there. Hopefully, in the future, I can use this day as a tool to improve on my abilities.

2 comments:

bobby said...

Dude...I'm tellin ya. As soon as you said your sound guy confirmed a month ago I figured you were in trouble. It would be nice to think people put things on calendars, but I've found that you almost always have to call the week of or you got about a 50/50 shot at seeing em.

Did you have practice earlier in the week?

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it was great man. And trust me, that won't be the last time you're distracted in leading cause things went wrong. We all let that part get to us sometimes.

Now I gotta be in San Diego to worship with you leading sometime! How about you get yourself on the schedule for August 30th! ;)

Unknown said...

So much for professional, and I use the word loosely. If he was feeling bad about bailing, he wouldn't have or he would have at least called if he had a good reason. You also wouldn't have had to see him talking to someone outside, he would have come looking for you. As for the drummer, I agree with Bobby, you can forget a lot in a month. I know you did a great job anyway and of course Megan was perfect!!