Saturday, July 5, 2008

Life is Fragile

This past week, I got a call from one of my employees who was working at one of our softball fields. He told me that a player collapsed and there was an ambulance and firefighter trying to revive him. About 30 minutes later, my scorekeeper called me back and told me he didn't make it. The EMTs just covered him up in the middle of the field and waited for the medical examiner to show up.

Megan put it perfect in saying "I'm sure that is not how he expected his day to end up."

The next day I talked with the scorekeeper again and he told me the guy was bragging before the game that he had only missed one game in the past 15 years and that was last week for his daughter's graduation.

It's amazing (actually quite scary and sad) that any minute can be your last. He apparently was a skinny, not so old guy (52 years old) who was active. Yet he appeared to have a massive heart attack. I've been putting off thinking about this, but I think I need to start REALLY living how I want to live my life. I spend way too much time on the computer, way too much time watching TV, and not enough time playing with Ryan, Noah, and Megan. I don't want to be lazy sitting around. I want to work out; run; play sports; travel. I want to tell people about my faith. I want to start up conversations with strangers. I want to teach Noah and Ryan how to throw a spiral. I want to hike with Megan to the top of Mt Whitney. I want to have too many people over at our house just because we have too many friends.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but sometimes, situations put your entire life in perspective.

3 comments:

bobby said...

Thanks for sharing. Great post.

And count Rachel and I in on that Whitney climb!

Unknown said...

Amen.

Linda said...

Wow, that brought back a lot of sad memories for me, as I'm sure it did for Megan, Bobby, and my sister. I think sometimes we need to step back and re-evaluate our lives. I am so sorry for that man and his family. My heart goes out for them. Thank you for posting. It should make us all realize that we should be so thankful for what we have. There is always someone worse off than us! I sit here with tears streaming down my face, as we all experienced this when Vic passed away so suddenly. We should all live our lives to their fullest and thank God for everyday that we have. This is what we all need to remember when we get on each other's nerves, no matter how much we irritate each other (and ALL family members do at one time or another), we always love each other, and should be thankful for any time that we can spend together. That's why so many times I ask is something really worth fighting over....is it so important to be right. I have found that it is not...life is short. Thank you again for your post. It should humble all of us.