Sunday, December 9, 2007

This Weekend

This weekend was well overdo. Megan and I had a great time on Saturday. We started off the day by going to the zoo at noon (that's as early as we can get out of the house these days). We hung out for a few hours and it was by far the best time I've had at the zoo. Ryan is old enough now that he sees the animals and will try to interact with them. It is so great. Anyway, we rode the skyfari, ate a churro, watched an elephant poop, you know, normal zoo stuff.

Afterward, we went to "December Nights." Megan insists on calling it "Christmas on the Prado" which was its previous moniker, but I insist on calling it "December Nights", especially in light of one of the attractions that were performing that night...The Gay Men Chorus of San Diego!!! I'm pretty sure that group would probably be discouraged from performing at a Christian festival. We did have a great time for the couple of hours that we spent there. It was kind of cold and a little rainy, but it just made the atmosphere more festive. We ate a lot of little stuff and checked out the San Diego Hall of Champions. By the time we left, it was only about 6pm and Ryan was beat.

When we got home, we decided to go out to the movies. Ryan was asleep so we figured he'd be fine on his own...just kidding. Donna was kind enough to watch him. We saw "Enchanted." It was a pretty good movie and I'd recommend it to just about anybody but some high school boys. Speaking of...there were 3 guys, looked to be around 17, in the theater and they only lasted about 5 minutes after the animated Giselle started singing a song about cleaning up the house. All in the all, the movie was really corny but very appropriately corny. Also, there was an older guy sitting at the end of our row who was asleep when the movie started, woke up for about 2 or 3 minutes in the middle, then fell asleep until the end.

After the movie, I obliged to Megan's desire to go to Macy's and look for a certain pair of shoes. Unfortunately, they weren't there but we ended up with a new pillow (SCORE!!!)

We finished off the night going to get ice cream, and ending up getting Jamba Juice smoothies. At least I know there is a minuscule amount of self restraint in there!

On Sunday, we went to go get a tree after church. I had the Chargers game Tivo'd so I made sure nobody at church would give me any updates. Much to my dismay, Megan watched the start of the game, listened to the game in the car on the way to church, and on the way home, then opened up the laptop and got updates on the game until the end (of regulation). She hinted at the goings of the game and basically just spoiled the experience of watching the game. Since Ryan wouldn't go down for a nap, we went to Home Depot to get a tree. Megan spilled the beans on the way and said the game was tied at the end of the game. I was a little mad but at least didn't know the final score. As we were paying for the tree, the radio happened to be on. As we walked up, I hear "The Chargers pull to 8-5 and the Titans drop to 7-6." RUINED!!!

At least I got to go home and watch the game without getting a heart attack during the 4th quarter. I made my super-hot chili that turned out to be mildly hot. After I cut up the habanero chili, I must have rubbed my nose or something because I have never felt that much pain on my upper lip/nose in my life. I didn't know what to do. I tried rinsing it off, but it just spread the pain. I read up on what to do about the pain and some suggestions said milk or bleach. I tried soaking a towel in milk and holding it on my lip. That didn't help. I skipped the bleach idea, but tried putting canola oil on my lip and in my nose (in most circumstances, I wouldn't try this but if you ever get habanero chili oil anywhere on your body, drench yourself in some kind of vegetable oil). I smelled really bad and felt funny but did the trick. I celebrated the relief from pain by having a few beers.

To top off the weekend, I strung some lights on the tree and was told that the tree wasn't covered well. I took all the lights off and added another strand to the mix. When I was done, the lights didn't come on. I gave up for the night. I jumped on the computer before I went to bed just in time for the tree to fall on me. Luckily Home Depot opened up early this morning so I could get another stand.

That's all. If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chili was worth the pain it tasted great!

Linda said...

One of my favorite things in the world.....watching an elephant poop!