Monday, July 9, 2007

4th of July

This is out of order but I'm posting anyway.

On the 4th, we won't over to Donna's to hang out for a while. I made some really tasty BBQ baked beans that I got a recipe online for (it has raisins in it...weird). Then we won't over to Chad and Kylie's house for a BBQ. As always, Chad had about 10 pounds too much meat. We ate and ate and ate and then he said, "Ok, now it's time to cook up the rest of the chicken." Needless to say, there were leftovers. Once it hit about 7:00pm, everybody started to leave to get ready to see fireworks. We were all going out to Eastlake to check out fireworks where Dave and Angi live. Apparently, it was supposed to be a great place to see the show. Before we leave, Chad convinces me and his buddy to go surfing real quick. Since he lives in IB, it only takes him 2 or 3 minutes to get to the beach. We strap the boards to his truck and head down there. I haven't been surfing in about 2 years, and I just worked out my triceps that morning. I paddled out past the breakers and then just sat there. There were a few waves I tried to catch but for the most part, I couldn't even paddle with the wave. I was dead tired. I almost caught a wave before heading in but once I popped, the wave was closing out and Chad's buddy John was right below me with the look of terror that I was going to spear him right in the chest. I pulled out. Since I expended all my energy trying to catch that wave, I just rode the next waves white wash into shore.

So we pick up Donna and head over to the park in Eastlake. Dave brings glowsticks and we start playing catch with them. We realize it's 9pm and start looking for the fireworks. The sky above the houses behind the park starts to change colors and, along with the hundreds of people at the park, realize that we aren't seeing the fireworks from where we're at. Another 4th of July without a complete fireworks show. I think next year, I'm going to try to convince Megan that we need to hang out at the 3rd green at Torrey Pines golf course. It overlooks La Jolla Cove where they shoot fireworks every year. We'll see.

0 comments: