Saturday, March 24, 2007

Loud Music in Church

This is more of a plea than a post.

There is a perception of "church music" that has been dubbed (rightfully so) to soft-contemporary artists that sound like they belong in elevators across the world. My main concern is we, as a church whole, are not encouraging non-Christian 20-somethings into coming to church services because they will be subject to "soft" music. I have a friend that I've invited to church a few times ask me, "Are you guys playing rocking music or are you playing "churchy" music?"

Mega-churches across the country are rocking the congregations with plenty of musical power, but are lacking close relationships and meaningful fellowship. I think the smaller churches are rocking the congregation with the closer relationships but are lacking in the music department. At least I believe our church is. Going along the lines of my last post, I think we need to change the way that we view our worship ministry in our church. Being a musician, I have different opinions about the way things should be run, in terms of sound, and whatever transpires, I will go along with it. But I think it is worth a try to try something new.

I think that having church sound like a "show" isn't all that bad. When most people go to a concert, you'll find them singing along to the band's songs. Musical worship is about trying to get the congregation to sing the songs of praise. In our church, it seems that a lot of people are just listening or following along with the words and not really engaging in what the song is about. When I had a week off, I felt uncomfortable in the congregation because it wasn't really loud enough for me to sing and not have EVERYBODY around me hear it. When I go to mega-churches where the music is loud, I have no problem singing and getting involved in the songs. So, my main concern is the loudness of the music and how we can try to solve that problem.

I have an idea. I call this the "4 part method to getting someone to think more like you" (book copyrights to come at a later point). First week, you start with the borderline extreme. In our case, we would turn the sound up quite loud (even louder than you want it), but still with a good mix (plenty of kick drum, bass, and guitar) and loud enough to draw comments. The second week you do the same, but this time, you will probably draw some complaints, rather than just comments. The 3rd week, you compromise a little (you turn down the music a little, noticeable enough but not loud enough to elicit the same number of complaints). The 4th week, you compromise even more but still have gained more direction towards your goal than the complaints would suggest (you turn down the music just enough where you may receive a few comments but not very many complaints [but is quite louder than services in the past], and after the previous 3 weeks, it seems like a reasonable level).

There is a slight chance for this process to backfire, but in this case, I think we would be fine. Besides, the next step up from elevator music is geriatric hospital music (then we go on to music heard in a Macy's - still way away from turning people away from our church). One of our older congregational members stated, "People think since I'm old, I don't like loud music. I grew up with the 'Stones. It can't get any louder." That's what I'm talking about.

That brings me to my next point...I think I want to run sound one week!!!

1 comments:

Fickle Obsessor said...

Just an extra comment on this posting:

I could see how this can be construed as a criticism on the sound techs but I want to assure you that they are in more of a bind than I am. I know they want the music loud and booming just like I do, but they actually have to deal with the pastor when he sends people back to tell them to turn it down.

I just want to understand why the philosophy is to keep the music wrapped up in a little tidy package? When Bobby ran sound, he had to be told 2 or 3 times to have the music turned down.

Anyway, these are just thoughts of mine that come around midnight so take them for what they're worth.